A Career in Independent Hospitality
1. It will bring you to places and present you with situations you have never imagined.
2. Whatever you give, it will ask even more of you–and challenge you each day.
3. The costs are high, and the rewards are too.
4. You will come to know amazing people from all walks of life, and you will realize that serving everyone well is your life’s work.
5. You will become very familiar with HVAC, refrigeration, plumbing, electricity, cleaning procedures, laundry chemicals and the world of maintenance while developing an intimate working knowledge of sewers and septic tanks. Your knowledge in these areas will be tested when you have a full house, often on a national holiday.
6. If you’re lucky, you will savor some of the world’s finest foods and beverages.
7. If your staff is happy and respected–you will be too. Make it your personal mission to compassionately help people to get where they are going.
8. At times, you may regret your career choice but you will get over it, realizing that your chosen field is the most dynamic and exciting career path you could have chosen.
9. Networking is your second full-time job. See #10.
10. Remember that hotel owners are like everyone else–they will retire, get bored, decide to sell and die–not necessarily in that order. See #9.
11. As soon as you get comfortable, expect change. Be ready. Be flexible.
12. Your life partner (if you are lucky enough to find one) will be challenged in extraordinary ways by your career choice.
© COPYRIGHT 2016, Brooks Bradbury / BrooksLooks